Thursday, March 19, 2015

[Breaking News] Rise of the Third Kingdom! 3.19 Press Conference!

[The Live Youtube stream opens on an empty press room. The shaky camera takes a moment to steady itself, before focusing on three empty chairs. To the right, a foggy class door opens up, leading to the entrance of a young lady in her early 30's wearing a black dress suit. Seeing the cameras, she calmly collects herself before addressing the media with a warming exuberance.]

Woman: "Good afternoon, everyone. Thank you for coming to this scheduled event, where we will announce the largest, most anticipated bout in the history of Japanese Pro-Wrestling. I am the Press Secretary for Kingdom of Japan Pro-Wrestling, Junko Hamaguchi. We thank you once more for your time and hard work. We look forward to reading about the proceedings in the comings weeks. Now without further delay, please let me introduce our President and CEO, Mr. Shigesato Ishiyama."

[On cue, the eccentric owner of KJPW enters, wearing a simple blue three-piece suit. After acknowledging the members of the press, Ishiyama takes his seat in the middle where a microphone is already conveniently placed.]


Shigesato Ishiyama: "Good afternoon, and thank you again for coming. It humbles me to still have the attention of the sports media... As most people know, the people of Japan have suffered terrible hardships in the past five years. This has extended to all walks of life as a Japanese person. Even as pro-wrestlers, we too have suffered and endured. Of course, what unites us all is our indomitable Burning Spirit. Whether you are a salary man, or a pro-wrestler, you are capable of amazing things simply because you refuse to give up. In the past two years, we have attempted to show people that we can move on and rebuild what we once had... We have come far, but have still fallen short of our goal... No, our Dream. While pro-wrestling is a small part of people's lives, to the people within this sport, it IS their life. And like all of our Japanese brothers and sisters across the country, we will never stop fighting to live the life we want. They will never stop fighting to live the life of a pro-wrestler... Naturally, the Kingdom of Japan is far from finished... Today, I am announcing the return of Kingdom of Japan Pro-Wrestling! And to make good on our shortcomings, we have allocated all of our energy and resources to present a match the world has always wanted to see... On Friday, April 17, 2015 -- from the BODYMAKER Colosseum in Osaka, Kingdom of Japan Pro-Wrestling and FUJI TV presents... 'KING× KING'! Please enjoy this CM presentation!"

[On Ishiyama's beckoning, the lights dim as a screen lowers from the ceiling. After a few moments of adjustment, the video begins to play, cutting to an intense conversation between two friends, quickly revealed to be well-known comedian pro-wrestling fans MASA and NORI. The camera keeps close on both of their faces, cutting back and forth as they speak.]

MASA: "...Are you CRAZY!? He could never beat him! Have you seen the LARIAT!?"

NORI: "LARIAT!? Is he a TEXAN!? He's no match for the DIAMOND BLUE!"

MASA: "You ARE crazy! It's POWER vs. TECHNIQUE! OF COURSE power wins!"

NORI: "...!! I want to see that match!!"

MASA: "AAAHHHH!!! I WANT TO SEE IT TOO!!"

NORI: "Why is life so unfair...?"

[The camera suddenly cuts to a side shot of both men as they suddenly exchange odd looks to one another, almost as if they're noticing something. The camera slowly pans back with the song "Uchoten" by B'z fading in. Finally, it's revealed: Standing behind both comedians are KAZUMA FUJITA and more surprisingly... GENJI YAMATO. Both men stand proudly in their ring gear as the two pillars in the pantheon of Japanese Pro-Wrestling...]

Narrator: "... ... ... ...Finally, it will happen!"

[A graphic crashes onto the screen, officially announcing the particulars of the show, along with confirming the blockbuster match between Kazuma Fujita and Living Legend Genji Yamato.]
 
KAZUMA FUJITA
VERSUS
GENJI YAMATO

KINGDOM of JAPAN PRO-WRESTLING,
"KING × KING"
April 17 (FRI), 2015
Osaka - BODYMAKER Colosseum
17:00 GONG

 Narrator: "KAZUMA FUJITA VERSUS GENJI YAMATO! KING cross KING!"

[The closing seconds of the CM jump back to MASA and NORI standing now in front of Yamato and Fujita, who continue their face-off. The comedic duo completely ham it up for the camera...]

MASA/NORI: "KING cross KING! 4/17! WE WILL ALL SEE IT!!"

[The video ends, leading to a round of cheers and applause from the reporters; clearly impressed with the return of not just Fujita, but Genji Yamato!]

Ishiyama: "Now, it is my honor to introduce the participants for this unquestionable SUPER FIGHT. Fujita-san, if you will!"

[The office door opens once again, bringing forth the arrival of the man to lead Japanese Pro-Wrestling for the better part of the century: Kazuma Fujita. Immediately, the reporters are taken aback. This isn't the same Kazuma Fujita we saw almost two years ago. No longer appearing frail, and sporting a renewed confidence not seen in quite some time, Fujita graciously met the media, along with shaking hands with Mr. Ishiyama before taking his seat.]

Ishiyama: "Now, allow me to introduce Mr. Genji Yamato! Yamato-sama, please!"

[Indeed, the legendary pioneer of modern Japanese Pro-Wrestling, GENJI YAMATO returned from private life. His presence almost seemed unbelievable by the members of the media gathered. However, one by one, Yamato's return was met with unanimous applause from the otherwise professional reporters. Aging gracefully, Yamato appears to still be in excellent fighting condition. He takes his seat to the left of Mr. Ishiyama.]

Ishiyama: "Naturally, I am sure you all have questions. However, I would like to give both Kazuma Fujita and Genji Yamato the opportunity to address this historic event. Of course, Yamato-sama will go first."

Genji Yamato: "Good afternoon... My name is Genji Yamato. It's been a while, hasn't it? [smile] First, I would like to apologize to fans for my disappearance. Pro-Wrestling is my love, but there comes a time when a man has to make difficult decisions for the sake of his family. I’ve not been completely absent, having mostly been a football pundit these past few years, all over TV. There were some other concerns I had to contend with as well. However, I never lost sight of my return... I am a strong believer in fate, and I know the time is right to return to the ring... However, I wanted to find the right match... The right opponent to return. I've faced the absolute best this sport has seen. Hiroyoshi Tenzaki, Jason Ramsey, Yoshikazu Kanda... However, there is one wrestler who I've never crossed paths with in a one-on-one match... Kazuma Fujita. For many fans, I think him and I define two eras of Japanese Pro-Wrestling. The importance of this match is undeniable, and I want fans to know how serious Fujita-san and I are taking this bout. Despite our age, our spirit still burns!"

Ishiyama: "Yamato-sama, thank you! Now, Fujita-san will comment."

Kazuma Fujita: "Good afternoon... My reaction to this match is almost that of a living dream. When we learned of Yamato-sama's desire to return to the ring, it almost sounded like a cruel tease. My admiration and respect for Yamato-sama is well documented. It's not a secret that I actually tried out for the Japan Puroresu Association shortly before joining Burning Spirit Pro-Wrestling. Yamato-sama was somebody I patterned myself after in many ways when I became Ace of BSPW, because he defined what it meant to be a leader in my eyes. However, reality is soon setting in. On April 17, Genji Yamato and I will meet for the first time in a singles match. Many will question the timing given our age, but as Yamato-sama said... our spirit still burns! In many ways, I think Yamato-sama and I have many things to prove in the ring. I think we will greatly surpass expectations."

Ishiyama: "Now, before we move to questions, we have a couple of more announcements. First, we will be revealing the full match card over the next two weeks. Please look forward to that! Second, there is another big announcement to make regarding our main event... As if this match could not be any more important, we are adding an incredible prize to this match... Hamaguchi-san, if you will please..."

[The KJPW press secretary quickly reappears as soon as she disappears, wheeling in a long, narrow wooden box... Finally opening the box, the reporters all gasp in elated murmurs over what they see. Packed around plush red velvet are two of the oldest championship titles in all of Japanese wrestling... The J1 Heavyweight title, and the Neo Japan Pro-Wrestling Heavyweight title... Collectively known as the Double Titles. The reporters all let out a collective gasp.]

Ishiyama: "For the first time in over TEN YEARS, Genji Yamato will revive the J1 Heavyweight and Neo Japan Heavyweight titles, and defend them against Kazuma Fujita on April 17 in Osaka! Yamato-sama, please share your thoughts on these revered championships."

Yamato: "The J1 Heavyweight title dates back to the days of Rikidozan. Through the decades, the championship persisted, and eventually fell into the care of Neo Japan Pro-Wrestling, who had their own established championship... The two titles were historically unified, and became known simply as the Double Title. When Neo Japan closed, I was given the championships to protect, and naturally used them in my own promotion: Japan Puroresu Association. When I arrived in BSPW, my philosophy had been to not live in the past, and instead focus on winning new championships -- possibly to create a Triple Crown... The last time I was convinced to bring the Double Titles back was by.... well, Fujita-san himself! I defended the belts in 2005 against Tetsuhisa NAKAI, Fujita-san's greatest pupil in my humble opinion... I was weary of returning the championships to the public eye... However, knowing what was on the line made the two of us work even harder. I expect nothing less in this forthcoming match. We will no doubt be pushed to our limits -- and then even further."

Ishiyama: "Now, Fujita-san will give his comments."

Fujita: "...THIS is why this feels like a dream... Again, my desire for this match is no secret. However, what is also no secret is the fact that I chased Yamato-sama for years. However, it was not meant to be. Of course, I believe those years of pursuit have only led up to today. Kazuma Fujita was always fated to meet Genji Yamato... It was just a matter of when... When I think back to the championships I won, I always go back to the Golden Crown... While I had won championships elsewhere, it was the first time I felt like I had made it in pro-wrestling. While the title initially had little value, we in Burning Spirit Pro-Wrestling saw that as an opportunity to establish something new, and great... However, I would be denying myself the truth if I said I never wanted to hold these championships... Winning championships shows your strength. It shows how far you've come in your career... Winning the Double Titles puts you in the same tier as Rikidozan. It is the key to immortality. On April 17, I'll show what I have left in the ring. I have been training for months, even before this match was made official. While I have all of the respect in the world for Yamato-sama... I am the Essence of Pro-Wrestling. Until I'm soundly beaten and forced to retire, I will always believe that!"

Ishiyama: "Finally, we will now take questions from the press. We thank you for your patience!"

[Immediately, a sea of eager hands fly into the air, just waiting for be called on. Press Secretary Hamaguchi handles the order and calls on the reporters one by one.]

Minoru Kawa, Yahoo Sports: "Yamato-sama, while we naturally want to respect your privacy, could you speak more about where you have been in the last few years? What has changed now?"

Yamato: [Heavy sighs] "It’s not easy to discuss, but I’m not ashamed of what’s happened either. In short, my oldest child, she has a neurological disability, that we have worked for many years to get to a point where she may be able to function in today’s society. In addition… this did cause some personal strife, both for myself and my former spouse, suffering a profound depression for many years, and puroresu was something I didn’t feel I could do anymore, in that current state of mind. My illness in 2006, away to Germany for the World Cup that year, cut short my tenure in PROMO*JAPAN, and I just couldn’t bear the failure of that. Um… when I fail, sometimes I take it very hard. When JPA closed, I ran away overseas to the USA and Mexico, which lead to my broken leg in 2002, but I came back to BSPW in the end. Sitting on TV, talking about football, which seemed to be all I could muster. Lastly, I feel my depression was mitigated, too, by a bad personal relationship with my children’s mother, and I don’t think it was any coincidence that when we severed that relationship, my fog began to lift. I am still the guardian and custodian of my children, and I spent the last few years getting myself back into ring shape, mentally as well as physically, and back to a point where I can truly return to wrestling. I am here to turn back the clock, and get my stolen years back.”

Hiro Itaka, Japan Sports Times: "Fujita-san, what exactly is the status of your retirement plans?"

Fujita: "...While the decision to retire was difficult, I did so believing I had nothing left to prove in the ring... Of course, today shows that is not the case. I think Yamato-sama and I are both aware of our age, and the realities that come with that. However, I firmly believe we still have something left. We're old war horses, unquestionably. But for one night, we will fight as if we were in our glory years... I sincerely believe that. When the time comes that I feel like I can no longer compete, I will step away... 4/17 could tip the scales one way or another..."

Akiko Yoshitomi, Samurai! TV: "What is the status in general regarding Kingdom of Japan Pro-Wrestling? You have not elaborated on much beyond April 17. Is this a one-off special event?"

Ishiyama: "No, absolutely not! While we are being conservative in our movements, 4/17 will mark KJPW's return to full-time action. We look forward to showing everyone our new vision."

Kei Yamamura, Sports Navigation: "I suppose that begs the next question... What are your plans after 4/17, Yamato-sama? The question extends to Fujita-san as well."

Yamato: [smiling] "If you're asking whether or not I will remain active, the answer is YES. I have signed a one-year contract with KJPW, and plan on wrestling as much as I physically can!"

Fujita: "Naturally, while we are both eager to meet each other in the ring, we both want to create a special feeling in KJPW -- not just on 4/17, but beyond. I think Yamato-sama's comments are on point. I will go for as long as my body will allow it."

Daichi Tanaka, Sports Navigation: "Ishiyama-san, what is the status of your roster?"

Ishiyama: "More will be clear in the coming weeks. Truthfully, we allowed our annual contracts to lapse during our inactivity. We are currently in the midst of negotiations with some wrestlers, but have also re-signed many individuals, including wrestlers who have not previously competed in KJPW."

Koichi Usagi, BIG FIGHT LIVE: "Ishiyama-san, what are the status of the HEC championships?"

Ishiyama: "We have yet to address the HEC title belts. We plan to keep them active; but have not yet approached the subject. For now, we are pouring our focus and resources into 4.17."

Hamaguchi: "We have time for one final question..."

Satoru Taka, Weekly Pro-Wrestling: "Certainly, the return of Genji Yamato, combined with this match is an amazing surprise... However, can we expect MORE?"

Ishiyama: [smiling] "That may be the case... All I can say is please stay tuned in the next two weeks as we reveal the full match card!"

Hamaguchi: "Now, we will hear closing comments from all three, beginning with Fujita-senshu."

Fujita: "A match like this only comes around once a century... I sincerely hope old and new fans flock to see a match that defines two generations, not just for selfish reasons... Yamato-sama and I both wish to see pro-wrestling return to its flourishing state. We want to inspire not just fans, but wrestlers themselves. Please, come see it! You will not be disappointed!"

Hamaguchi: "Now we will hear from Ishiyama-kaicho."

Ishiyama: "I think I've honestly said enough, as there isn't much more I can add to this historic match. I wish both men luck going in, and look forward to seeing the outcome!"

Hamaguchi: "Finally, we will hear from Yamato-sama."

Yamato: “It has been too long since I have been inside the ring. But this return of mine should not be considered the closure of an era, but the seeds to begin a new one. Long has it been dreamt that I face Kazuma Fujita, for MY Double Titles” (Ooooohhh from the assembled media) “and now that dream will come true. Once more, the FIGHTING LOVE is ALIVE!”

Ishiyama: "In closing, I would like to thank everyone -- from the wrestlers, to the media, to most importantly; the fans. We have been ambitious from the start, which combined with the state of our country has let to setbacks. However, our ambition is only matched by our love for this sport, and desire to create a new "Golden Era." When Pro-Wrestling is thriving, Japan is thriving. Please lend us your support in the coming weeks, and we will certainly earn your favor with what we produce. Thank you, once again!"

Fujita/Yamato: "Thank you very much!"

[All three men stand from their seats as the video camera slightly pans out. Naturally, Fujita and Yamato strike fighting poses for photographers: largely playful. However, both men tease tension as they get face-to-face... However, a wry smile from both men breaks the uneasiness, leading to an exchange of bows as the stream comes to an abrupt end.]

No comments:

Post a Comment