Tuesday, March 24, 2015

[News] Genji Yamato Unveils the Next Generation of FIGHTING LOVE!

Earlier today, at a training facility just outside of Shinjuku, Genji Yamato held a brief press gathering, ostensibly to show off his four rookie trainees, but also to answer some other questions.

Yamato was dressed in a trainer suit, much like his charges, three native Japanese and one Hawaiian, as he spoke to the gathered media. Yamato stood in the middle, flanked by two on each side.

“As you well know,” Yamato began, “I return to active wrestling on the 17th of April; however, this is something that has been in the works for some time, and I am not coming alone. For the last year, I have had my door open for others to train with me, to start building up the next generation of pro wrestling. Although I return, I know it won’t be forever, and it’s my duty to pass the Fighting Love to those who will carry it on.”

With that, Yamato introduced his young army.

First to be introduced was 24-year-old heavyweight KOHEI OBATA, a youngster from Kyoto who has been working in small-time local cards since he was 19 years of age. Yamato explained that when he saw what Obata had to offer, he saw something special, and “intangible” about him, and signed him up. “It is a great honor to be chosen by Yamato-sama,” said Obata. “I am positive he, more than anyone, can take my wrestling to the next level. I will repay his faith in ways he can only imagine.” Yamato countered that with “Stick to debuting first,” which slightly embarrassed Obata, but all in good humor.

Next, another 24-year-old, this time from Honolulu, Hawaii, a junior heavyweight named MALEKO MOMOA. Doing his best to greet the press corps in Japanese, Momoa said “I am happy to be here, and I hope to make you happy as well. Forgive me if I’ve misspoken today.” Yamato went on to explain that Momoa is a prodigy, as he is the brother-in-law of multi-World Champion wrestler from America, Lance Marshall, with whom Yamato has been friends with for over a decade. "I hope to bring honor to Sensei Yamato and to my family's legacy,” Momoa added.

Yamato said that as of this moment, both Obata and Momoa are due to debut at the 4/17 KING x KING card in Osaka, however in what capacity is not known yet. The legend then showed off his other two trainees, whom it is assumed, will debut in a forthcoming show.
Another indie wrestler, junior heavyweight YUSUKE KISHIMOTO wrestles a lucharesu style, according to Yamato. Hailing from Sendai, the 21-year-old looked pretty laid back, merely choosing to wave to the press, not saying anything beyond “Hello.” One could not tell if the scruffy-haired youngster was nervous, or just not wanting to speak to the press today.

Finally, a towering heavyweight, standing at 6’2”, Niigata-born HAJIME KON introduced himself. Aged 24, also having done the rounds in smaller rings, Kon was very direct, smiling but not overly joyful, saying that he, too, would make good on the faith that Yamato-sama has shown him, no matter how long it takes. He said he plans to do things “the right way” in his pro wrestling career. Yamato said that Kon’s style, a more modernized “Royal Road,” perhaps sat better with the likes of his 4/17 opponent, Kazuma Fujita, than Yamato’s own, but Yamato saw Kon first, and apparently, “made a better offer.”

With that, Yamato took some questions, the first one being, what did he think about the possibility of Ryo Inoue’s return? Yamato was very quick to answer, saying: “Ryo Inoue has always been one of my favorite wrestlers that I’ve worked with, although he never would believe it. I think sometimes he confuses his own overwhelming desire for greatness with a lack of it in others. But I, personally, never had anything against Inoue, even when he was calling me out in my prolonged absence. If there’s any lingering grudge, it’s one sided. That’s puroresu. My opponent is Kazuma Fujita. That’s all. Will Inoue and I cross paths? Who knows?”

Another reporter asked whether or not he is still the legal owner of the famed Double Titles (the unified J1-Rikidozan/Neo Japan Pro Wrestling Heavyweight Championships). Yamato said “As of this moment, I am, yes. However, we are having discussions about that.”

A question about Yamato on social media came up, and Yamato said he is indeed on Twitter, @GenjiYamatoFL. He also said “I never liked Facebook.”

Lastly, a reporter from Tokyo Sports asked if we would ever see Yamato’s alter-ego, Cho’oningen, in a Kingdom of Japan ring. Yamato looked at the reporter square in the eyes, smirked, and said “I don’t know.”

At last, Yamato, Obata, Momoa, Kon and Kishimoto posed for photos, including a group shot with their hands together in teamwork. This, now, is the FIGHTING LOVE! faction in KJPW…

No comments:

Post a Comment