Sunday, April 12, 2015

[News] Profile on Hajime Kon! A New Face in Strong Style!!

The full card has now been announced for KING × KING, and with it came a surprise change in the opening matches. It was assumed that Genji Yamato-protégé Kohei Obata would be teaming with Hawaiian debutant Maleko Momoa, however Momoa now opens in a pre-PPV "dark match" with fellow FIGHTING LOVE! Junior rookie Yusuke Kishimoto.

This change of events means that the final new face under Yamato's umbrella, HAJIME KON, will debut for Kingdom of Japan Pro Wrestling, teaming with Obata against Yutaka Awano & Hybrid Corps ARMADA's Yukio Kisanuki. 

"I was satisfied to wait until the next card to debut for Kingdom of Japan," said the 6'2", 245lbs. Kon, "But now that I now I will be part of KING × KING, I am more satisfied. I will do my best."

Hajime Kon had an academic sports background in both amateur wrestling, and rugby. He excelled at both, however he felt that he had more prospects as a wrestler than a rugby player. He debuted as a professional wrestler at the age of 19, in 2009, for Shin Niigata Combattler. Kon was well liked in the promotion, which emphasized a more simple approach to pro wrestling, to go along with its budget. However, there was a growing emphasis on deathmatches, which Kon was not very keen on, having come from a school of thought similar to Kazuma Fujita's FURY Dojo. However, when it came time for him to move on, it was Genji Yamato, not Kazuma Fujita, that came calling.

"I do not know what Yamato saw in me, that Fujita did not. Fujita was my reasoning for going professional. Burning Spirit and FURY were my favorite promotions as a child. But... Yamato was in those too. And I remember him. He was one of the greats. So I am honored he selected me for his FIGHTING LOVE! association. I hope to repay his faith."

So far, it has worked out, for Yamato as well. As the Double Titles champion noted in a tweet, Kon has acted as a stand-in for his KING × KING challenger during training. While Kon does not want to be a copycat of "Mr. 300%," he has the bulk and build to be a good practice partner.

"Those times are fun. Maybe not for Yamato-sensei. But it brings me some joy."

Kon also has some praise for his partner on 4/17, Kohei Obata.

"Yamato-sensei, he gives a lot of focus on Obata's development. But it has been beneficial. Working with Obata, against sparring partners, we are starting to feel chemistry with each other. If we are successful at KING × KING, I should hope that we will continue this path."

Hajime Kon certainly is ready for his first time in the KJPW spotlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment